Limited Edition Canvas Reproduction 20"x 30" | $225 US
Limited Edition Canvas Reproduction 24" x 36" | $370 US
Limited Edition Canvas Reproduction 36" x 48" | $500 US
Shipping Costs | $17 to the US and Canada
Print arrives stretched and ready to hang | Other sizes and destinations available
Catherine Salisbury aka Cathy Salisbury
Skype Name: catherinesalisbury
My passion for scuba diving and marine ecology started 25 years ago as a hobby but now, it has become the focal point of my life. In 2000 I made Bonaire my second home where I dive the marine park and have got to know the sea life intimately. This is the primary subject of my work. I have volunteered on numerous marine biology research projects and travelled to photograph many of the world’s coral atolls and fringing reefs.
Born and raised in Montreal, I graduated University in 1986 with a Bachelors in Fine Arts in film and photography from Concordia University. In 1985 I became involved in the world of publishing and started the alternative newsweekly the Montreal Mirror. I went on to starting and publishing three weekly newspapers and numerous magazines. I finished my career in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 2013 at the weekly newspaper, The Coast. My partners at The Coast, Christine Oreskovich and Kyle Shaw continue to carry the torch, committed to good independent journalism.
In 2000, I met my partner, Dominique Serafini, a world acclaimed underwater painter and illustrator. We teamed up, creating a book about the shipwrecks of the ABC Islands called DreamWrecks. In 2006, the book was turned into a television series by the same name that we wrote, researched and hosted. The show followed us as we photographed, sketched and discovered the stories of shipwrecks throughout the Caribbean. More about my DreamWrecks work at www.dreamwrecks.com Dominique and I continue to collaborate together, most recently with Septieme Continent, creating an illustrated book about ocean plastics.
My shows include:
- Artificial Reefs, a duo show in 2002 at City Café, Bonaire
- Artificial Reefs, a duo show in 2003 at the Curacao Maritime Museum, Curacao
- Magical Encounters, panoramic underwater photography and studies of movement of marine life, a solo show in 2005 and 2006 and 2007 at Cinnamon Art Gallery, Bonaire
- DreamWrecks - The Most Spectacular Shipwrecks of the Caribbean, a solo show in 2008 at Anderson Gallery of Contemporary Photography, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
- Encontro Franco Brasileiro de Imagens Submarinas - Curitiba, Brazil in 2012
- Marine Artists , a group show at Bluewater Editions, Stuart, Florida in 2015
- L'Amour de la Mer, digital paintings at Le Vin, L'art Et Vous, Ducos, Martinique in 2016
- L'Amour de la Mer, digital paintings at L'Alsace a Kay, Saint-Pierre, Martinique in 2016
I am very excited about my new works which are on this website and look forward to many opportunities to show them.
As I see it, my job on this planet is to use my creative talents to inspire as many humans as possible to love the underwater world. With love, will come respect and with respect, people will not contribute to making our ecological problems worse. Perhaps my work will even inspire people to pitch in and help in their own way to stop the rapid downward slide towards marine species extinction.